UKZN Virtual Graduation

Message from the SRC

Revolutionary Greetings Graduates

On behalf of the Student Representative Council (SRC), I have the honour to congratulate the second Class of 2020 for attaining their ultimate goal of completing their studies. Due to the Covid-19 lockdown, we’re unable to celebrate our achievement in the traditional UKZN manner, with our families and friends ululating and cheering us on. While this pandemic has put a damper on our physical celebrations, the University has brought us together virtually.

I would like to encourage all of you to make the best of this opportunity and celebrate responsibly while respecting the regulations of the COVID-19 lockdown and ensure that you take care and stay safe. I am confident and hopeful that if we hold firm, we will overcome this pandemic! I would also like thank and acknowledge our experts and researchers who are undertaking extensive research studies to find a lasting solution. I applaud the University Management for having supported and created an enabling environment for our scholars to continue to respond to the needs of our communities through research and community engagement.

I urge you to go out and make a difference in the lives of the disadvantaged and contribute to the growth and prosperity of our nation. The country looks to us to improve and to assist in addressing the social ills this nation is facing. We now have the skills and expertise to use our creative and innovative ideas to create employment, educate young people to be independent and self-reliant and to utilise technology to make lives of people better.

Former South African President and World Icon, Nelson Mandela once said: “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”

I salute you for having travelled and completed this journey to change your lives for the better.

Aluta Continua!

Sifiso Simelane
UKZN SRC President